Boston Latin Academy was established in 1878 as Girls’ Latin School, the first college preparatory high school for girls established in the United States.
By the time GLS celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1903, it had achieved a reputation as one of the country’s finest schools.
In 1972, in response to a state law ending sex discrimination in public schools, boys were admitted. Soon after, the school’s name was changed to Boston Latin Academy.
In 2010, BLA won a Blue Ribbon Award from the U.S. Department of Education. This award, given to 254 public and 50 private schools across the country, recognized schools where students attain and maintain high academic performance.
In 2013, Boston.com rated Boston Latin Academy as the #1 “Dreamschool” in the state, basing its rankings on a balanced range of criteria developed in collaboration with professors from the College of the Holy Cross.
For more information about BLA’s history, including video and photographs, visit the GLS-BLA Association.